Preparing Your Home for Sale
These are some small details that will not cost you a lot of money, but can make a difference in enticing a buyer to choose your home over the competition. A minor makeover can improve the home’s general appeal, giving it the competitive edge in today’s market and allow you to sell quicker and maybe for more money!
First Impressions Are Everything
- Keep the lawn edged, cut and watered regularly.
- Clean your front entrance area.
- Paint or replace your front door if needed. If not, give it a good scrub down!
- Give the house a fresh coat of paint.
- Keep your garage doors closed.
- During spring and summer months, add a few annuals, perhaps in pots, near your front entrance.
Clear the Clutter
- Remove unnecessary articles from your closets, cabinets and garage.
- Remove family pictures, trophies and knickknacks
- Have a garage sale to get rid of unwanted items and rent a storage space for items you are not ready to part with, but do not use every day.
- Look around your home and determine where you can reduce a cluttered appearance.
- Give every room in the house a thorough cleaning.
Make Simple Repairs
- Repair loose knobs and sticking doors and windows.
- Repair broken light switches.
- Replace broken or cracked windowpanes, moldings, and woodwork.
- Repair cracks, holes or damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paint and tiles.
- Repair dripping faucets and shower-heads.
- If you are on a budget and can only pick a few updates, paint and carpet are the biggest bang for your buck!
Make Sure a Room’s Primary Use is Obvious
- A bedroom should look like a bedroom, not an office, hobby center or gym.
- Remove any excess furniture.
- Stage your kitchen and bedrooms by cleaning off counters and night stands and hide the laundry hamper.
- Organize the utility room and garage.
- Paint walls a neutral color.
Things to Consider When Showing Your Home
- Open the curtains and blinds.
- Turn on all lights during evening showings.
- Remove any signs, posters or art that might be controversial or offensive to prospective buyers.
- Try to be somewhere other than home during the showings.
- Keep all pets, pet beds, litter boxes and feeding dishes out of the way.
- Deodorize thoroughly.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON SELLING YOUR HOME, COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW.